A group of parents of children with dyslexia, educationists empathetic to the cause, and philanthropists founded MDA in 1992. Madras Dyslexia Association (MDA) is a non-profit service organization established to take a pragmatic approach to helping children with Dyslexia
Madras Dyslexia Association strives to reach out children diagnosed with Dyslexia and related stakeholders notwithstanding barriers, to help build a Dyslexia sensitive- society.
In the course of time, Madras Dyslexia Association has developed various means of providing help to the child with dyslexia and the caregivers like parent, teachers and the school management.
Madras Dyslexia Association
- offers comprehensive guidance and assessment services that helps in ascertaining the presence and nature of learning difficulty in a child
- conducts full-time and part-time remediation to primary school children who are assessed to have a specific learning difficulty
- works closely with schools to help setup Resource rooms, to help children with dyslexia within the comforts of the school itself. A well-structured process of monitoring hand-holds the school management and the specialeducators to ensure that quality remediation is received by the children. Additionally, the teachers are trained to provide strategies for reading, writing, spelling and mathematics within the classroom.
- conducts Intensive Teacher Training to develop Special Educators who are fully equipped to conduct remedial teaching in schools and learning
- brings out quarterly news letter
- has developed remedial kits in English and Tamil
- has developed assistive reader app in English “MDA Avaz Reader” to make a struggling reader an independent reader