Co-Owner | Apple Tree Institute, Inc [2012 - Present]
- Oversee the development and production of parent-training videos, manuals, and Live video-conferencing in the areas of autism and behavioral disorders.
Clinical Director/Co-Owner | Autism Center of Pittsburgh [2011 - Present]
- Oversee clinical and administrative operations that provides support and guidance, evaluations, and literature for parents of children with autism and developmental disorders.
- Provide psychological evaluations and consultation for parents, local schools, and agencies at both office locations.
Clinical Director/Co-Owner | Community Psychiatric Centers, Inc [2004 - Present]
- Oversee clinical operations including policies and procedures, and standards of care for clients; supervise clinical staff; and conduct psychological evaluations
Owner | Dr. John Carosso, Psy.D. & Associates, Inc. [2001 - Present]
- Conduct psychological and psycho-educational evaluations on children, teens, adults.
- Contracted with the Westmoreland County Children’s Bureau, and Indiana County CYF to conduct evaluations on children and parents to ascertain mental status, personality functioning, diagnosis, parenting ability, and prepare a written report and provide subsequent court testimony.
- Formerly worked as a Court Appointed Psychologist for the Allegheny County Family Court that involved conducting custody evaluations and providing expert witness court testimony.
- Currently conducts BHRS “wraparound” evaluations and is an authorized provider of such services in Westmoreland County.
- Worked for ten years as a contract psychologist for the Bureau of Disability Determination and with the Department of Occupational and Vocational Rehabilitation.
- Provide consultation on an as-needed basis for various agencies including charter schools, local schools, and community agencies.
Director/Co-Owner | Dyslexia Diagnostic and Treatment Center [2010 - Present]
- Conduct educational assessments to determine extent of learning issues, and provide direct guidance for remediation services.
- Currently developing an on-line treatment option for parents through the Apple Tree Institute.
Contract School Psychologist | [2005 - Present]
- Provide psycho-educational testing, participation in MDT meeting, and general consultation to a number of local public and charter schools, on a contract basis.
Clinical Supervisor / Behavioral Consultant | Kidsnet, Greensburg, PA [2000 - 2003]
- Responsibilities include providing training and supervision of staff, and conducting evaluations. Formerly provided Behavioral Specialist Consultant services.
Licensed Psychologist | Loyalhanna Care Center, Latrobe, PA [2001 - 2002]
- Provide part-time (caseload of approximately ten - fifteen patients) assessment and treatment of a geriatric population in a nursing home setting. Consultation was provided for staff and families on a weekly basis.
Post-Doctoral Resident | Tim Bridges, Ph.D. & Associates, Greensburg, PA [1999 - 2000]
- Responsibilities included conducting wraparound, psychological, psycho-educational, and disability evaluations as well as outpatient therapy; Mobile Therapy, and Behavioral Specialist Consultant services.
School Psychologist | Penn Hills School District, Pittsburgh, PA [1998 - 1999]
- Responsibilities included psycho-educational assessments for students referred for academic, behavioral and emotional difficulties; report-writing; consultation for parents and teachers; behavior management workshops; and coordinating services for special-needs students.
- Duties also included working two days per week as the School Psychologist of a Title I Preschool program that involved conducting readiness screenings; parent seminars, child and family therapy, and consultation.
Predoctoral Clinical Psychology Intern | Torrance State Hospital, Torrance, PA [1997 - 1998]
- Two, six-month rotations providing contact with adult, mentally ill inpatients: The first rotation involved providing individual and group therapy, psychological assessment, and daily support services and monitoring of mental status for a chronically mentally ill, geriatric population; also, provided group therapy and a lecture-format class for dually-diagnosed (Mental Health/Drug & Alcohol) patients. The second rotation consisted of conducting initial psychological evaluations, individual/group psychotherapy, and monitoring the mental status for newly admitted patients.
- Both rotations involved working as a member of the treatment team, developing and monitoring treatment plans, consultation with ward staff, working with families, and writing weekly or monthly progress notes. Supervision was provided by Licensed Psychologists.
School Psychologist | Dade County Public Schools, Miami, Florida [1995 - 1997]
- SED Clinician: Provided individual, group and family counseling to students in the Severely Emotionally Disturbed program at the High School level; consulted with teachers, Administrators, and parents; provided crisis intervention, developed/monitored the classroom behavior management system and oversaw standard of care policies and procedures; and conducted psycho-educational testing and assessment as needed.
- District Office School Psychologist: Conducted psycho-educational testing for the Outreach Programs serving students in the Severely Emotionally Disturbed program; provided support-services for SED clinicians; completed various administrative assignments; and served as one of two lead-trainers for the District-wide physical restraint training, which also oversaw standards of care policies and procedures for SED programs across the county.
School Psychologist | Dade County Public Schools - Robert Renick Educational Center, Miami, Florida [1991 - 1995]
- Provided individual, group and family counseling to students in the Emotionally Handicapped and Severely Emotionally Disturbed programs in a highly specialized Middle School setting. Provided consultation with teachers, administrators, and parents, and provided crisis intervention services.
- As the Chairperson of the Behavioral Support Committee, I oversaw the ongoing development and monitoring of the behavior management system, and policies and procedures relating to standards of care for the facility, and conducted psycho-educational testing and assessment.
Intern School Psychologist | Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Oakland, PA [1991 - 1991]
- Provided psycho-educational testing and assessment for an inpatient child and adolescent population; assisted in the development and implementation of comprehensive treatment plans; and provided consultation to milieu staff and teachers.
Intern School Psychologist | Gateway School District, Monroeville, PA [1990 - 1991]
- Conducted psycho-educational testing; group and individual counseling sessions; consulted with teachers, Administrators and parents, and assisted in the development of a peer counseling program at the High School level. Supervision was provided by a Licensed Psychologist.
Childcare Specialist | Southwood Psychiatric Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA [1989 - 1991]
- Provided individual and group counseling, as well as daily guidance and support, to children and adolescents in an inpatient hospital setting; worked on the treatment team, developed patient goals and objectives, and monitored the behavior management system and level of privilege for individual patients. Carried out the policies and procedures in upholding appropriate standards of care for the patients.
Residential Counselor | The Whale's Tale, Pittsburgh, PA [1988 - 1991]
- Provided individual and group counseling sessions, and daily guidance and support, to adolescents in a shelter settings and group homes; responsible for monthly reviews, the development of treatment plans, and casework services. Upheld and assisted in the development of standards of care for the residents.
Psychiatric Nursing Assistant | St. Francis Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA [1987 - 1997]
- Provided support services for an adult inpatient, psychiatric population.